Balance the Budget

Saturday, January 19, 2008

Hillary Wins Nevada...what this tells us

So Hillary Clinton won Nevada today. I have to admit I am very disturbed by this. As someone who politically is somewhere in the middle I find her support just unimaginable. She does not inspire me at all. When I see her talk or give a speech all I see is pandering and calculation and I question where her support is coming from.

I have a few theories and I have talked them over with friends and especially my wife for insight.

Obviously she is popular with women, although both my wife and me scratch our heads at this one. I know she is the first credible woman but to vote for a woman because she is a woman is crazy to me. Plus I know this is controversial but her judgement isn't exactly the type of judgement I find admirable in a woman. Lets get one thing straight, her husband Bill Clinton cheated on her in front of the entire world and she forgave him. Now I know it was the politically smart thing to do, I just can't follow a person who made a complete fool of and forgave him. My wife and me have had this discussion many times over, and we agree completely that if one of us cheated that's it...Marriage over. Infidelity is one of those unforgivable acts.

Another base of support she has is the Democratic Establishment. Obviously the will support there colleague of 20 plus years because the have the most to gain by her winning. The unfortunate part of being capable of navigate Washington is that you owe people favors. I personally find this disturbing and a disgusting and strongly desire a change to the system.

Nostalgia plays a part in her support too. I know some people really liked the nineties but the problem with nostalgia is that nobody remembers the bad parts, inherently they only remember the good times. All I can really say about this is that its the 21st century can we please look towards the future and quit living in the past, please!

Although I won't official endorse a candidate, I definitely have strong leanings towards Barack Obama. He expresses good judgement. Everyone raises the question of experience, which I think is reality is null. As it has been said a million times, experience does not equal good judgement. He was smart enough to think through his Iraq War position before making a judgement and it turned out to be the right one. His foreign policy is probably his strongest aspect that I admire in that he realizes we are part of the world not the world's owner or master. I strongly support getting rid of the all or nothing foreign policy we have now and actually engaging the worlds nations as our equals.

Happy voting and please think long and hard.

No comments: